Sunday, March 19, 2017

A little Sunday school lesson on peace


Last night on the phone with my mom, I confided in her about a situation that had been weighing on me. I hadn’t realized it was upsetting me so much until I suddenly started to cry. I realized that it came down to grief; it was grieving my heart to witness someone close to me make poor choices for their life. As I continued to reflect this morning, I believe I got some perspective and I’d like to share it with you. Pull up a chair, boys and girls. It’s time for Sunday School.

As I was meditating, I recalled one of the accounts in scripture where Jesus wept with compassion.

When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, “If you had known this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes.” (Luke 19:41-42, NAS)

The Amplified version expands to say:

Would that you had known personally the things that make for peace (for freedom from all the distresses that are experienced as the result of sin and upon which your peace- your security, safety, prosperity, and happiness- depends)! But now they are hidden from your eyes.” (v. 42, Amplified)

Think about that. How many of us say we just want to have peace? We just want to be happy and live in quiet enjoyment. Well, the Lord is saying we can have all that and more. Yet, our eyes can’t see what’s been freely given.

When I wept last night, I was weeping for myself and for all of us. Why do we insist on choosing the hard way? I believe some suffering in this life just comes and doesn’t give us a choice in the matter. We just have to endure it. But then some suffering enters because of our choices. Why add needless pain to an already challenging life?

That’s my reflection today. Instead of focusing on what’s happening with other people, I will examine myself. I will recall the times when I’ve wandered down my own path and created drama and pain that could’ve been avoided. It’s not about shaming or judging myself. It’s about preserving the ability for sin to grieve me. It sounds strange, but I don't want to lose that tenderness of heart. Besides, when you realize that the outcome for any choice is either pain or peace, you’ll devote yourself to understanding the things that make for peace.


1 comment:

  1. Another verse I cling to is Seek peace and pursue it. It should be our goal.

    ReplyDelete