Friday, June 1, 2018

It’s time to do one thing


If you follow me, you’ve probably seen a theme in recent posts. I keep sharing about the importance of rest. The reason is because that’s my personal focus these days- rest and recovery. I sense the deepest part of me saying, “It’s time to do one thing,” and to do so, I’m quitting everything. Yep. You heard it here first.

For the last four years, I’ve been building a wellness brand. The irony is that I’ve been holding down multiple jobs in order to do so and burning out in the process. It’s been nothing short of exhausting promoting wellness in others to the neglect of my own. I’ve pushed through and counseled clients despite seasons of personal pain. I’ve led others in their fitness journeys even when I was no longer consistent in my own. I’ve taught counseling students and helpers-in-training despite career fatigue making me wonder if my work even matters. And even the work of branding myself as a wellness expert in a flooded market has been a grind that's left me depleted. In a word, healing others has been wearing me out and I’ve known for a while that I needed a change.

Since I don’t believe in being a victim or a martyr I’m making that change. Before the end of the summer I will take an indefinite hiatus from teaching, personal training, and private practice. God has graciously opened a door to one job that I believe will offer the enjoyment and work/life balance I’ve been seeking. For years I’ve prayed, “One job. I just need one job, Jesus.” Alas, He has provided.

Why am I sharing all this, you might ask? I share because a big part of my wellness education has come from my own personal and professional experiences. While I don’t regret any choices I’ve made in my occupational journey so far, I do have enough discernment to know when it’s time to make a change. What has been no longer serves me and for the sake of my wellness, it’s time to make new choices. I hope this empowers you to evaluate your life and do the same.

What does this mean for Gambrell Wellness? Well, we’re just taking a little break, that’s all. I’m retiring from multiple hustles and taking a sabbatical through the summer. But hey, I’m still an educator my heart. I still plan to share relevant content on health and wellness. At some point in the future, I’ll return with programs, events, blog posts and the like just as I’ve always done. It’s just once I come back this work, this wellness work that I truly believe in, it will be done with a spirit of rest. That’s really the only way.

I challenge you to join me. I’m not saying quit your job(s) necessarily. I just want you to consider what areas have you felt perpetually drained? Can you take an extended break from them to recharge your soul? It’ll look different for everyone. I can’t tell you what you need. I do urge you to ask yourself though. What can you do in this next season for the sake of your wellness? For me, it starts my just doing one thing.


1 comment:

  1. Well written! I adore you and can’t wait to see what this new season brings ❤️

    ReplyDelete