Monday, May 6, 2019

How I manage travel anxiety


I’ve had a couple of trips this spring that required air travel. I’ve flown before, of course, but it’s maybe only one flight a year on average. I don’t particularly like it. In fact, it makes me nervous. It should come as no surprise. Most things do. I’ve been fairly transparent about battling anxiety. And because I’m an educator, I wanted to share how I deal with travel anxiety. Secret: the following tips have nothing to do with breathing techniques.

1.     I pray for protection
Let’s be real about flying. The fear of it really isn’t that irrational. I mean, you have 150 people or so in an enclosed space in the sky with no means of escaping if something goes wrong. Besides the flying itself, you also have tons of travelers around you who might suddenly have their own medical emergency in your vicinity. There’s a lot of valid stuff to freak someone out. That’s why I meditate on Psalm 91 in the scriptures. It’s a Psalm of protection. It lists all the things that might cause fear and highlight that God grants protection from them all. What better promise than that?
2.     I listen to uplifting playlists
In the same vein of focusing on my faith to protect me, I also create travel playlists. During takeoff or whenever I’m particularly anxious, it’s gospel and worship songs for me. After I settle a bit, I might switch to my usual fun throwback pop and R&B hits. Music really does create a mood and you can choose what mood it is.
3.     I track my journey through group texts
Another way I deal with the stress of travel, especially when I’m alone, is by keeping a text thread to select family and loved ones. Airports can be lonely and overwhelming when you have a bunch of strangers rushing by. Texting my people throughout my journey reminds me, 1) I have people who love me and 2) I carry them with me wherever I go.
4.     I focus on the destination
Now, I know common advice in life is to enjoy the journey and not think about the destination. I think that’s crap. The journey is uncomfortable. Many moments on it are solely to be tolerated. I deal by closing my eyes and waiting to get to the good stuff. I focus more on where I’m going and the joy to be had, than the discomfort that comes with trying to get there.
5.     I reward my bravery
A final practice I use to cope with anxiety of any kind in life is to reward myself. I’m brave. I deal with fear like a boss. So much so that most people don’t even know it’s a struggle. Such bravery deserves reward. Bubble baths, yoga flows, treat yourself as you see fit. You did something hard for you and should remind yourself as much.

Here’s the thing with people who deal with anxiety. While you shouldn’t expect it to just always be there, a permanent part of your identity, neither should you expect to be 100% peaceful and calm about all situations. Some circumstances might always feel a bit unsettling- like being enclosed with people for hours 35,000 feet in the air. That may never feel like a walk in the park to you. But by focusing on faith, friends, and the fun you’ll have when you get there, you can find courage to get through the hard stuff. When you do, don’t forget to treat yourself. Those who daily face fear are the bravest ones of us all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment